Well I finally got around to making that crockpot full of sausages and kraut!. Recently, while watching the Food Network show “The Kitchen”, my ears perked up when I heard Sunny Anderson say she was going to make “quick” sauerkraut. I knew that Sunny had lived in Germany, so she should know good “kraut”. It looked great and I thought that this would be a good recipe for some sausages and kraut in the crockpot.
Photo of the veggies before starting the crockpot.
I used her recipe as a starting point and created this tasty recipe! I decided to use a garlic ring bologna for this recipe, but you could use just about any sausage that you prefer .
Quick and Easy Crockpot Kraut with Sausage
- 1 medium head green cabbage
- ½ small head of red cabbage
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4 yellow peppers
- 2 table spoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black peppercorn (whole)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 bottle of beer (your favorite)
- ring bologna or your favorite sausages.
Shred the cabbage into thin slices and place into crockpot. Sprinkle some kosher salt on top and massage into the cabbage to start the breaking-down process. I let it sit for about 30 minutes, massaging a couple times. Slice the peppers and onion into thin slices and add to the cabbage, then add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low for 5 hours.